Look Behind the Curtain…and Get Ready to Direct! BOARDway Bound
is ArtsWave’s acclaimed board leadership program for accomplished, diverse professionals who are passionate about making a difference. This one-of-a-kind training and placement program prepares participants for board leadership as they explore the Cincinnati region’s vibrant arts sector and experience board service first-hand.
Connect with our arts community. Make lasting connections. Build new professional skills.
Since 2004, ArtsWave has trained and placed more than 300 individuals on the boards of Cincinnati arts organizations, changing the face of leadership and adding capacity to our cultural institutions. Candidates have come from some of the region’s leading businesses:
• Cincinnati Children’s Hospital & Medical Center
• Duke Energy
• Ernst & Young
• Fifth Third Bank
• GE Aviation
• Johnson Investment Counsel
• Mercy Health
• Messer Construction
• Ohio National Financial Services
• PNC Bank
• Taft Law
• Thompson Hine
• US Bank
• Many more!
You — or your employees — could be next! Curriculum
BOARDway Bound provides interactive content and conversations with leaders from the Cincinnati arts community. ArtsWave President & CEO Alecia Kintner will facilitate the 2019 program. Each session will explore key issues that confront arts boards, while providing time for networking and teambuilding.
The 2019 curriculum will include seven late-afternoon class sessions. Carefully chosen articles, thought pieces, videos and sample board materials will be provided weekly through a digital binder. The first session is a marathon of elevator speeches from arts organizations that are seeking new board members.
One session will feature a mock board meeting, showing participants what it’s like to sit at the table. In the final class, candidates will come face-to-face with arts clients in a fast-paced “Speed Dating” interview process. ArtsWave then matches the top choices of BOARDway Bound participants with the top choices of arts board clients for an observership that they define together…leading to loud applause!
Hospitality is provided at each session courtesy of Thompson Hine. Each session also features a surprise challenge to test your Cincy arts savvy.
I was interested in BOARDway Bound
...because I wanted to grow, be challenged and become engaged beyond the patron’s view of the arts. Because of this program and the fantastic board I joined, my view of our region and our community has expanded exponentially.
- Ronnise C. Handy, CFO, Cincinnati Fire Department
Board member, Cincinnati Boychoir
What do BOARDway Bound participants gain?
• Greater appreciation for Greater Cincinnati’s arts and cultural organizations
• Introduction to arts leaders sharing their perspectives on the business of the arts
• Knowledge of non-profit management, lifecycles, finances and fundraising
• Understanding of roles and responsibilities of board members
• A great new network of contacts in their classmates, session speakers, and through the BOARDway Bound Alumni Network
• Comprehensive online resources that will inspire, inform and carry you through your arts board journey
• The chance to give board service a try by being paired with an arts organization for a multi-month board observership
Who should apply?
All background and career stages are welcome. All you need is a desire to make an impact on the arts!
Participants typically have minimal board experience but seek professional development in governance and best practices. Some participants have served on boards in other fields and desire more in-depth knowledge of the issues unique to nonprofit arts. Others are new to the region and looking to make new connections.
ArtsWave encourages diverse candidates to apply. Together, we can ensure that the programs and practices of the region’s arts and cultural organizations are reflective of our entire community.
BOARDway Bound 2020 - 2021 details coming soon.